Believe it or not just last week, I was paddle boarding at the #2 best paddle boarding area in the world! Yep, last week I had an amazing adventure with eight other writers and bloggers at the Villa del Palmar at the Islands of Loreto. I can’t wait to write about my vacation there. First, I wanted to share some Paddle Boarding Tips for Beginners.
I have been paddle boarding several times before. My husband and I like to go locally here in California whenever we get the chance. That’s me on the gorgeous calm water just off the beach of the Villa del Palmar at the Islands of Loreto resort and spa. Guests of the resort can take one of six new clear-bottom kayaks or a paddle board for a spin around Danzante Bay, while enjoying an up-close view of what’s happening under the indigo waters of the Sea of Cortez.
This is the view from the ocean looking at the hotel. No wonder it’s rated #2 for paddle boarding! I sipped some amazing margaritas on that beach!
Assuming you didn’t just go out and buy a paddle board and paddle, on your first experience someone will help guide you to renting the perfect size board and paddle height for you. Some areas require that your wear a life vest as well.
- Wear Sunscreen
- Protect your eyes with sunglasses
- Wear a life vest
- Most boards will have a clear marking to the center of the board. Start by kneeling first, with your knees positioned on the outsides of the center point.
- Try paddling while kneeling first to gain balance and a feel for the water.
- If you feel to wobbly, request a wider board.
- Slowly stand up, one foot at a time, trying to remain centered on the board.
- Keep a slight bend in your knees while standing.
- Paddle with one hand on top of the paddle and the other hand on the center of the shaft of the paddle.
- Keeping one hand on top of the paddle will help keep your balance when stroking. Do not paddle with both hands on the shaft, as you may lose your balance.
- When stroking, make sure the blade is fully emerged in the water.
There you have it. These are just a few tips I have learned and I hope they help. Stay tuned for some of my other adventures while visiting the Villa del Palmar at the Islands of Loreto! In case you missed it, here are my tips for kayaking for beginners.